Sunday, June 28, 2009

Menu for the Week of 28-Jun-09

Here are the planned meals for this week. I am going to take it a little easy since the last couple of weeks have been so stressful. I am trying three new recipes, though, all of them seem pretty basic. Thank you to jd from Veggie Terrain for the recipes. The post about smoothies got me thinking too. I made a smoothie this morning with fresh fruit and Maddie LOVED it. This could be an easy and delicious way to get her to eat some more fruit/vegetables.

Sunday: Spicoli Burgers with sweet potato fries
Monday: Cuban Black Beans and Rice
Tuesday: Crunchy Blue Corn Chickpea Tacos with corn on the cob
Wednesday: Gnocchi with Poor Man's Pesto (from The Mediteranean Vegan Kitchen by Donna Klein)
Thursday: Sichuan Broccoli w/ Tofu (from Cook's Illustrated)
Friday: Pizza (from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison)

A few
words about the older recipes I included this week.


Poor Man's Pesto from The Mediteranean Vegan Kitchen is one of my favorite old standbys. It is easily prepared in under 5 minutes with just my trusty food processor. The flavor is intense but G and I love it. Maddie is starting to come around too, though it takes her a long time to learn to like strong flavors.


Sichuan Broccoli is also one of my favorite easy stand-bys. It is very easy to prepare (I use frozen broccoli to cut down on cooking time). It is
a nice, spicy stir-fry.

Pizza is something we consider our Friday night tradition. The crust recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone is outstanding. It cooks up nice and crisp on our pizza stone. If you like making pizza, I highly recommend buying a really nice pizza stone. The $10 pizza stones from Target are not the same as a good, heavy stone. Our pizza stone will cook up a beautiful pizza in 7 mins. It's also fun for kids because you can have them help you put the toppings on. One night we even had a pizza night at my brother's house where we cooked four very different pizzas customized for everyone. Everyone present was happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment