Sunday, June 28, 2009

Recipe Ratings: A Guide

I have a slightly complicated system for rating recipes. I rate each recipe by five topics on a scale from 1-5:
  • Taste
  • Ease of Preparation
  • Weight Friendliness
  • Maddie Friendliness
  • Cost of Ingredients
Taste: The score for the dish's deliciousness. My husband and I both rate the dishes for taste, so this is kind of a cumulative score. I am kind of picky, having given only two or three dishes a 5 in my entire lifetime. Those dishes, though, are the ultimate as judged by my taste buds.

Ease of Preparation: Work nights, I tend to prefer easier recipes. This rating allows me to sort through easier recipes on nights when I just won't have a lot of time.

Weight Friendliness: I am someone who has struggled with my weight since I was a teenager. I consider myself someone with an eating disorder. This rating allows me to search for recipes that are better for me. These tend to be my every day meals. I do like to have not so good recipes once or twice a week, though. ;) I will also list weight watchers points.

Maddie Friendliness: Maddie is my daughter. This rating is based on how she responded to the meal. She is a toddler and kind of picky, so this is also a crucial score for whether a meal becomes a regular meal at my house.

Cost of Ingredients: I have a budget for this house, so this score helps me to choose recipes that will not make me cry at the checkout counter.


How do I use these ratings? Well, I actually have a spreadsheet with all of the dishes I've prepared and their ratings that I can sort through if I'm looking for an old standby to prepare. The spreadsheet also helps me because I list main ingredients so if I'm looking for a way to use up stuff hanging out in my refrigerator, it provides an easy way to do that.

2 comments:

  1. Sigh. I wish I was as organized as you are. I might actually enjoy cooking instead of seeing it as a chore. At least now I can just steal all your good ideas! ;-) April

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, I'm a total geek about this lately! But it's because I like eating...a lot. ;)

    ReplyDelete