Sunday, July 19, 2009

Cauliflower, Spinach, and Potato Stir-Fry with Coconut Milk

I have had Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison on my bookshelf for, wow, probably close to 10 years. It is one of the first vegetarian cookbooks I bought after making the big decision to become a vegetarian back in 2000. Sadly, even though I've owned it for so long, I have never cooked more than just the pizza crust.

So this week, after seeing it referred to in several places as one of the best cookbooks for beginning vegetarians, I decided to try some more recipes from it.

The first one I tried was Cauliflower, Spinach, and Potato Stir-Fry with Coconut Milk (pg 265). Here is the breakdown:

Taste: 3 (G gave it a 4)
Ease of Preparation:
4

Weight Friendliness:
2
(8 weight watchers points without counting the rice...eeek)
Maddie Friendliness:
2 (she ate the rice and some of the potato)
Cost of Ingredients: 3
Overall: 2.8

This is what it looked like while it was cooking:


And what it looked like on my plate with garnish:


Overall, it was alright. It was good and tasty. It did not make me want to immediately add it to my list for regular meals, but I might make it again if I happen to have some of the ingredients around. I'm really not sure it's worth the calorie load, though (ye gods!).

ETA: I learned a very valuable lesson as a result of this dish. I need to take the fat out of my diet or my lack of a gall bladder will kill me. I will not be making this again, not because of the quality of the dish, but because my body cannot handle it.

No comments:

Post a Comment