Sunday, July 26, 2009

Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins

This morning I tried making Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins from The Candle Cafe Cookbook. This is another cookbook that I've owned for a few years, but haven't worked with very often. I'm trying a few recipes from it this week.

This morning we are visiting friends so I thought, what better treat to bring friends than muffins! The recipe makes 12 small muffins and have some whole wheat flour, though I'd guess the amount of sugar removes any possible health benefits from them. :-P

I was very crestfallen to see the muffin tops cave in as soon as I opened the oven to test them. Next time I will know that they take longer than the minimum amount of time to cook, though my oven is usually the type that will burn all your food in a matter of minutes.

But they tasted delicious! A little crumbly from the wheat flour, but overall, very tasty and surprisingly satisfying. Maddie was hunting for them in the kitchen after she shared one with her daddy, so I think she gives them a thumbs up too. I plan to enjoy them after dinner for dessert this week with a nice cuppa tea. Hopefully my friends like them too.

Recipe from The Candle Cafe Cookbook by Joy Pierson, Bart Potenza, and Barbara Scott-Goodman

Lemon-Poppy Seed Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup unrefined sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt (fine-grained)
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup soy milk
1/4 cup lemon juice (or the juice of one lemon)
1/4 poppy seeds
2 tsp grated lemon zest (or the zest of one lemon)

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a muffin tin or line tins with cupcake papers.

2. Sift the flours, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large mixing bowl and whisk to mix. In a separate bowl, whisk together the margarine, maple syrup, soy milk, and lemon juice until foamy. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until the batter is smooth. Fold in the poppy seeds and lemon zest.

3. Pour the batter into the muffin tins, dividing evenly. Bake on a center rack of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. unless these were vegan your tops would only deflate if your oven temp is off or you were jumping up and down outside the oven. if the temp is too low they don't set up right. I do this on purpose with cupcakes to make a dent in top and fill it with more frosting. literall a cup cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, they were vegan. It was so deflating to see those muffin tops cave in as soon as I opened the door. I kind of messed up the recipe and added twice as much sugar as was called for, so I wonder if that might've contributed as well. Oh well, I'll definitely be trying again.

    ReplyDelete