Ease of Preparation: 4 (very very easy)
Nutritional Value: 3 (black beans are good protein, but I rank higher for more varied nutrition)
Maddie Friendliness: 4 (she actually ate a burger!!!)
Cost of Ingredients: 4
Overall, a good solid bean burger, though I definitely I like the spicoli burgers more.
Black Bean Burgers
2 cups cooked or 1 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed (I used the can of black beans)
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten
1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs (I used panko bread crumbs)
1 tsp chile powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp tomato paste (or ketchup)
1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 small onion (grated using the large holes on a box grater, or in a food processor)
- Mash the beans with a fork.
- Add everything except the olive oil.
- Mix well with your hands until the mixture comes together.
- Form into six patties (I made them about 3/4 inch thick).
- Fry in a small amount of olive oil for five minutes on each side.