Sunday, August 2, 2009

Cellophane Noodle Salad

Garison and I love to go out for Asian food of all kinds. One of our favorite dishes is always the noodle salads. This recipe is a little different from what we usually get at our favorite Vietnamese restaurant. Mostly because it's cabbage-based and not lettuce-based.

Taste: 4
Ease of Preparation:
4

Weight Friendliness:
4 (8 Weight Watchers points)
Maddie Friendliness:
3 (She ate the rice noodles and the mock duck)
Cost of Ingredients: 4
Overall: 3.8

This is actually a recipe I've tried several different versions of. This is closest I've gotten to the taste of the restaurant without fish sauce.

The recipe follows (adapted from Quick-Fix Vegetarian by Robin Robertson)

Salad:
4 oz cellophane noodles
1 8 oz package shredded cabbage (I used about 3/4 of a regular green cabbage, shredded)
1 cup bean sprouts
1 English cucumber, seeded and thinly sliced (I used a plain old ordinary cucumber)
3 scallions, sliced (omitted and replaced with one small onion, sliced and caramelized to closer replicate our restaurant's version)
3 tablespoons chopped cilantro (I goofed here, I had cilantro from last week that I was going to use without realizing it had already started to liquefy in my refrigerator. I had a tube of cilantro paste in my refrigerator, which I mixed in with the dressing)

I also heated up a package of stir-fry seitan strips with the carmelized onions to give it a little more staying power.

Dressing:
3 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp fresh lime juice (or the juice of one lime)
1 tbsp tamari
2 tsp brown sugar (I used heaping teaspoons because I love how sweet the salad at our local restaurant is with the fish sauce)
1 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp chili paste (I combined the garlic and chili paste and used a garlic chili paste I had in my refrigerator)
2 tbsp water

Garnish:
1/2 cup roasted peanuts, chopped

The directions are easy: Mix the salad ingredients together. Mix the dressing ingredients together. Toss to combine and top with peanuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment