Today's recipe was Green Beans with Tomato (Lilva Nu Shaak) from 660 Curries.
Taste: 4.5 (The flavor of the spice was just right. It tasted like Indian food, not some hacked together Indian-like food with loads of curry powder.)
Ease of Preparation: 4 (My only issue with this dish is green beans are kind of putsy to trim and cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
Nutritional Value: 4 (green beans and tomatoes!)
Maddie Friendliness: 2 (she only ate the rice)
Cost of Ingredients: 4
And now for the recipe!
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tsp yellow or black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp ground coriander
1 1/2 tsp sea salt or coarse kosher salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper (I halved this [1/2 tsp] and it was still really spicy)
1 tsp white sugar, packed brown sugar, or jaggery
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp asafetida
1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium tomato, coared and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- If serving with rice, start the rice.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and cover the pan. They will pop like popcorn. Wait until the mustard seeds have stopped popping.
- Add the cumin seeds. They will instantly turn reddish-brown.
- Take the saucepan off of the heat.
- Add the rest of the spices.
- Add the beans. Stir to coat the beans with the spices.
- Pour in one cup of water and add the tomato.
- Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Spoon over the rice and garnish with cilantro.