Sunday, December 27, 2009

Baking Bread

I have been baking a lot of bread lately. It all started when I was fantasizing about a picnic with no food except some french bread, butter, and a sweet white wine with a friend. I decided that I should learn to bake french bread! I started out with this recipe. We actually baked it at a party and ate it around the table as soon as it had cooled sufficiently with lots and lots of butter. Bread parties are now going to be a tradition! Who needs sweets and chips when you have fresh bread? The recipe turned out nicely, but I wanted to experiment some more.

So I bought a book: Artisan Breads Every Day by Peter Reinhart.

The first recipe I tried, of course, was the french bread. The first difference is that the dough is less tacky, easier to handle. I made a larger loaf too. G loved this bread. He said it was perfect, except the color looked too dark. Otherwise, it tasted perfect and the shape was really good. In spite of the dark color, it didn't taste burned at all. I think my oven may have been a little too hot. It also cooked in much less time than the recipe indicated. I was glad I checked on it, otherwise, I would've had badly burned bread.

New cookbooks pretty much make my day. So does fresh bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment