Easy Vegetarian Bean Chili
2 (28-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
3 (15-ounce) cans beans, rinsed
2 - 3 teaspoons chipotle sauce
4 teaspoons sugar
Salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 onions, minced
3 tablespoons chili powder, or to taste (G thought it was a little too spicy.)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
6 garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
2 cups frozen corn
4 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Pulse tomatoes and their juice in food processor about 5 times or until desired texture.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, saute until almost softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and ¼ teaspoon salt or 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and saute about a minute more.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, beans, chipotle sauce, sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt to the onion mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer about 15 minutes.
- Stir in corn and cilantro and return to brief simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve.