Sunday, December 19, 2010

This Blog's Mission

I have been doing a lot of thinking about food lately. Because it's been almost a year since I last updated this blog, I decided to spend some time thinking about the reason for it.

For those of you who haven't known me for very long, it is a little bit of a shock to learn that 3 years ago, I lost 45 pounds. Well, actually, I lost 65 pounds, but I gained 20 back after a huge setback in the form of septic shock as a result of pneumonia, but I will not go into that.

Before:

Now(ish):
Note: I think my hair is also much much better now.

The last three years, I have stayed about the same weight (interestingly, my high school weight), fluctuating about 5 pounds here and there. Rather than lose the 20 or so more pounds I should probably lose, I learned the exact amount of food I could eat and stay the same weight and I pushed those boundaries as much as possible.

Why? Well, I love food.

I love fresh bread with real butter. I love pizza with lots of cheese. I love pastas with cream sauce. I love decadent desserts.

The point of this blog is to document my recipes and how I manage food. What I haven't gone into much is how, while many of the dishes on this blog are not optimal for your health (hello, Pecan Rum French Toast), I am fastidious about portion control and making sure of three things:
  1. I enjoy and savor every bite of the food I eat.
  2. I eat enough to ensure I never go hungry.
  3. I eat just the right size portions to never go hungry but also to not overindulge.
I don't believe in fake food for weight loss. I believe in eating satisfying food that tastes really really good that is made out of real ingredients. This blog is my way of sharing recipes for others who are also interested in food that you don't (usually) have to feel too bad about eating.

I'm also interested in saving money and meal planning and making fast meals for week nights after a long day at work. Not all of these recipes are the most frugal, but I've found that just planning meals and making sure I use up ingredients ensures that every week I have reduced our food costs by more than $100 a week and that I have an empty refrigerator with very little to throw out. Most of these meals make delicious leftovers that I freeze and use for lunches.

If you have any tips or recipes you'd like to share, please let me know. I love talking about these topics.

2 comments:

  1. Is that a positive string of exclamation points??? :-P

    ReplyDelete