Black Bean and Bell Pepper Chili
1 1/2 cups dried black beans sorted and rinsed (or 2 cans black beans, do not drain!)
3 cups water (if using dried black beans) or 1 cup water (if using canned black beans)
1-4 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, finely diced
1 yellow bell pepper, finely diced (it is ok to use any combination of 3 bell peppers)
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 bay leaves
2 tsp chipotle powder
2 2-inch cinnamon sticks
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
Kernels from 2 ears of corn (or frozen corn to taste)
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 1/2 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp pure maple syrup
coarse sea salt
- If using dried beans, combine the beans with the water and 1 tbsp olive oil in a pressure cooker and cook at full pressure for 30 minutes.
- If using chicken, cut up and saute the chicken until thoroughly cooked, but not dry.
- In a heavy pot, over medium heat add 1-3 tbsp of olive oil.
- When the oil is warm, add the onions and saute for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add the bell peppers, garlic, cumin, bay leaves, chipotle powder, and cinnamon sticks. Saute for 10 more minutes. Reduce the heat and stir occasionally to prevent sticking until the vegetables soften.
- Add the beans to the pan with their cooking liquid (or 1 cup of water, if using canned beans).
- Process the diced tomatoes in a food processor or pass them through the medium holes of a food mill and add to the pan.
- Raise the heat and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and stir in the corn kernels, oregano, vinegar, and maple syrup.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Add salt to taste (usually 1-2 tsp) and continue to cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and cinnamon sticks before eating.
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp table salt
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (1 3/4 ounces)
3/4 cup frozen corn (3 1/2 ounces), thawed
1 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs
8 tbsp unsalted butter (1 stick), melted and cooled slightly
- Adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 5 inch baking dish with cooking spray (or an 8 x 8 square pan).
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl until combined. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, mix the brown sugar, thawed corn kernels, buttermilk, and eggs for about 5 seconds.
- Add the wet ingredients (including the butter) to the dry and gently fold the mixture until barely combined.
- Pour the batter into a prepared baking dish.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Cut and serve.