Yay! Happy kiddo!
It's even fast enough to be a weeknight mainstay (about half an hour of prep and cooking total).
Creamless Creamy Tomato Soup
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil , plus more for drizzling
1 medium onion, chopped
3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press
Pinch hot red pepper flakes
1 bay leaf
2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes packed in juice or diced tomatoes
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 large slices sandwich bread, crusts removed, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
2 tbsp brandy (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and bay leaf. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and their juice. If using whole tomatoes, mash with a potato masher until no pieces bigger than 2 inches remain.
- Stir in sugar and bread; bring soup to boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until bread starts to break down, about 5 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- If using a blender, transfer half of soup to blender. Add 1 tbsp oil and process until soup is smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to large bowl. Repeat with the other half of the soup and 1 tbsp oil.
- Rinse out Dutch oven and return soup to pot. Stir in broth and brandy (if using). Return soup to boil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve soup in individual bowls. Sprinkle each portion with pepper and drizzle with olive oil.