Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
Makes about sixteen 4-inch pancakes
1 tbsp lemon juice from 1 lemon
2 cups milk (any type)
2 tsp grated lemon zest
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (5 ounces)
1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal (preferably stoneground)
2 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp table salt
1 large egg
3 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 cup fresh or frozen corn, or berries, rinsed and dried
- Whisk lemon juice, milk, and zest in a medium bowl or large measuring cup. Set aside for about 5 minutes.
- Whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl.
- Whisk the egg and melted butter into the milk mixture.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, whisking gently until just combined (a few lumps should remain). Do not over mix.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Lightly grease the skillet or griddle with oil.
- Form pancakes on the skillet or griddle using 1/4 cup batter. Sprinkle corn or berries over each pancake.
- Cook pancakes until bubbles begin to appear. Flip pancakes and cook until golden brown on second side, 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer. Serve immediately.