Stir-Fried Broccoli and Red Peppers with Peanut Sauce
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp lime juice
1 teaspoon grated zest
1 tbsp light brown sugar
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup water
3 tbsp smooth peanut butter
1 tbsp peanut oil plus 1 more teaspoon
1 large red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
9 oz broccoli , cut into even 1-inch florets (about 4 cups) (I used a package of frozen broccoli)
2 medium cloves garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press
1/4 inch piece fresh ginger , peeled and minced (about 1 teaspoon)
- Mix fish sauce, lime juice and zest, sugar, and red pepper in small bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Add coconut milk, water, and peanut butter, whisk until smooth. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until shimmering, 2 to 3 minutes.
- If using fresh broccoli, add red pepper and broccoli. Stir fry until just tender, about 2 minutes.
- If using frozen broccoli, add the broccoli to the skillet, cover, and heat until most, but not all, of the ice is gone (about two-three minutes). Remove cover, add red pepper, stir fry two minutes.
- Clear the center of pan. Add remaining teaspoon oil, garlic, and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds
- Stir the garlic and ginger into vegetables.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in sauce. Simmer to heat through and blend flavors, about 1 minute. Serve immediately.