Thai Curry with Sweet Potatoes and Tofu
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
14 oz extra-firm tofu, pressed, drained, and cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 tbsp canola oil
1 1/2 tablespoons red curry paste
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
2 tbsp fish sauce
4 tsp light brown sugar
1/4 cup water
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 medium red bell pepper and cut into 1/4-inch strips
1/2 lb snow peas, strings removed
1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering.
- Add the tofu in a single layer and cook until golden brown on one side, about 2 minutes.
- Gently flip the tofu and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon oil to the skillet and return to medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the curry paste and cook, stirring constantly, until very fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the coconut milk, fish sauce, light brown sugar, and water.
- Add the sweet potatoes and tofu.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Turn heat to low, cover, and cook until the potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and snow peas, increase the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the peas are crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the basil and lime juice.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve immediately.